Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hummingbird Cake

It feels like I've heard about Humming Bird Cake for, like, my entire life.
It was always that mysterious cake that people talked about but I had no clue what was in it or what it would taste like.
This past Saturday was Eli's birthday and I decided enough was enough, I was going to bake us all the strange cake.


It tastes just like Banana bread to be honest... I will take the mystery out of this tale for you. It is filled with all sorts of ingredients and I would consider this an "everything but the kitchen sink" type of cake. If I were to make it again I would probably leave out the coconut, which is strange since I adore coconut... I just found it made the cake almost too sweet... which is also a strange comment coming from me...

Hummingbird Cake
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
2 cups mashed rips banana
8 oz canned crushed pineapple
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil
1 cup shredded coconut

In a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt and baking soda and whisk together. Add the eggs, vanilla and oil and stir until no lumps remain. Add the banana, pineapple nuts and coconut and mix until just combined.
Pour into two round, greased, baking pans and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Ice with Cream Cheese Frosting.

No comments: