Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homemade Oreo's

I love oreo's. I could very easily eat a whole bag in one sitting actually.
I recently heard about chocolate covered oreo's and think they sound like the most fantastic thing on the planet.
Well, the second most fantastic... because I don't think it gets any better then homemade Oreo's.
A while ago I stumbled across the recipe here for a crisp homemade oreo. I understand all oreo's are crunchy but I am slightly partial to soft, chewy cookies and if I'm going to go to the effort to make Oreo's then I wanted them to be soft and wonderful so I changed up the recipe a bit to make a softer cookie. I also used my favourite vanilla icing that I tend to keep in my freezer... dangerously easy!!

Chocolate Cookie:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup & 2 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) room temp. butter
1 large egg

Mix all dry ingredients together then add the butter and egg, I mixed everything by hand however it can be done in a food processor or with an electric mixer, until completely combined. Roll into rounds (mine were aprox. 1 tbsp) and flatten slightly. Bake for 9-11 minutes at 375. Allow to cool and then fill with your favourite vanilla icing.

**adapted from recipe found here**

No comments: