Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Brown Sugar Meringues

It feels like forever since I last shared a recipe, so to break my baking silence I've decided to share the instructions to make these brown sugar meringues.
I recently won a book called Cook Yourself Thin Faster and this is one of the recipes in the book. I made them for Eli's birthday party and they were a huge hit!

I will warn you though, they don't age especially well. I made them the night before the party and they were fabulously crunchy and delicious. The day of the party they had turned sort of chewy... but still delicious! Just not the same texture. So I would plan to make these the same day you are going to serve them.
Seriously though, these are so simple and SOO good, you simply must try them!
The best thing about these is they are super low in fat and calories and you'd never know... you know, if you worry about fat and calories and that kind of stuff...

Brown Sugar Meringues

3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 225.
Beat the egg whites and salt on high speed in a large bowl (or stand mixer) until soft peaks form. Slowly add the brown sugar, while still beating, a few spoonfuls at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny (roughly 3-5 minutes of beating).
Drop the meringue onto a parchment lined baking sheet using a cookie scoop or a large tablespoon, or you can pipe them using a ziplock bag with a corner cut out. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Turn off the oven and prop the door open slightly (I use a wooden soon). Let cool, in the oven for 1 hour.
Store in a tin or loosely wrapped in aluminum foil; do not store in plastic wrap or glass (maybe this is where I screwed up serving them at the party...).

No comments: