Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cowboy Lacking Cookies


He wishes he were a cowboy...


and I do everything in my power to give him that wish.
So sad my powers are lacking...

I know his birthday was over a month ago now, thus making his birthday party roughly the same distance past, but what can I say? The holidays got the best of me! As much as I would have loved to have had pony rides and real cowboy hats, and real chaps and a real ranch to offer my monkey, those things are very hard to locate in rural Newfoundland.
Alas, he only got $5 straw cowboy hats, and cowboy inspired cookies. Being 2, I'm sure he didn't mind, but my memory will be forever jaded in the lacking of cowboyism-ness.
yes, I made up that word...

A few months ago I made baby shower cookies for a friend and decorated them. I have since fallen head over heals in love with the decorating cookies and have taken to any excuse to do them again. Hubby and my oldest monkey love the cookies, giving me all the more reason to do them up for a big-ol' cowboy lacking birthday party.



Although this is one of the worse pictures in my stash, it's the one that does the best job showing the decorating.
The recipe I use for the cookies is simple and not mine.
why attempt to improve perfection?
Sadly all the credit belong to Elisa Strauss from Confetti Cakes. If you don't already have one of her books you should look into the purchase of one... or both!

I decorated with a Royal Icing:
1 cup water
1/2 cup meringue powder
8 cups icing sugar (1 large bag)

Whip up the meringue powder with the water until peaks begin to form then slowly add the icing sugar. Add more water by the tablespoon until you reach your desired consistancy.
I colored my icing using cocoa powder and it was mmm, mmm, delicious!

Now to start thinking about next year when he'll be 3!!!
...then again, perhaps I can put that off a little longer...

No comments: